As the global pandemic continues to impact countries all over the world, we are starting to see glimmers of hope with many countries previously in a state of lockdown making steps towards a new normal. Countries such as Portugal, Spain, and France are beginning to open beaches again allowing many bodyboarders from these regions to get some waves. The International Bodyboarding Corporation along with all world tour event organizers and their local governments continue to monitor the global COVID-19 situation on a day to day basis.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve across the world, so does the IBC World Tour for 2020. Where ever possible, event promoters are doing all they can to secure their events. However, due to funding by regional governments being diverted towards health care and other pressing matters, two events have now been canceled and thus will not be part of the 2020 World Tour. The organizers behind the events are now firmly working towards their events for 2021.
The following 2 events have now been canceled:
– Bellavista Iquique Pro, Chile
– South Africa Pro, South Africa
The following events remain suspended and the event organizers are working to find new dates to run the contests:
– Wahine Bodyboard Pro, ES, Brazil (new date to be announced)
– Itacoatiara Pro, NI, Brazil (new date to be announced)
– Antofagasta Bodyboard Festival, Chile (new date to be announced)
– Arica Cultura Bodyboard, Chile (new date to be announced)
The following events remain unchanged, however this is subject to change:
– Garden Island Classic, Kauai, Hawaii (August 8-9)
– Kiama Pro, Australia (August 27 – September 3)
– Sintra Pro, Portugal (September 7 -13)
– Gran Canaria Fronton King, Galdar, Canary Islands (October 17-31)
As always, the IBC urges all bodyboarders and bodyboarding fans to follow the guidance and advice provided by their governments and health authorities in order to reduce the spread of the disease.